- ELECTION INTEGRITY (Oct 2020)
- OPPOSE POLICE VIOLENCE (Jul 2020)
- IMPROVE MAIL IN VOTING (Jun 2020)
- MEDICAID EXPANSION HB 1040 (May 2020)
- MEDICAID EXPANSION (April 2020)
In committing to the work of becoming anti-racist, we know that confronting our failures will be difficult and painful. Guided by faith and grace, we are willing to accept this challenge and to do the necessary work.
FCNCL sends time-sensitive ACTION ALERTS on legislative issues related to our PRIORITIES. Read them here and take action. SIGN UP to receive alerts as they are issued.
The Presidential Transition
November 21, 2020
To All Participants in the Friends Committee on North Carolina Legislation:
FCNCL Policy Statement: We support electoral reform, led by the Religious Society of Friends’ (Quaker) testimonies of Equality and Integrity and in support of our FCNCL minute on anti-racism.
We are asking you to contact Senators BURR and TILLIS:
- TO ACKNOWLEDGE JOE BIDEN AND KAMALA HARRIS AS THE FAIRLY AND LEGALLY ELECTED PRESIDENT AND VICE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES
- TO CALL FOR THE GSA ADMINISTRATOR TO CERTIFY JOE BIDEN AS WINNER OF THE PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION TO ALLOW HIS TRANSITION TEAM TO BEGIN WORK AND RECEIVE CLASSIFIED NATIONAL SECURITY BRIEFINGS AND ACCESS TO GOVERNMENT SCIENTISTS ON THE CORONA VIRUS TASK FORCE
Free and fair elections are the bulwark of democracy. Republican and Democratic election officials across the country have shown integrity in counting almost 160,000,000 ballots. The Elections Infrastructure Government Coordinating Council and The Election Infrastructure Sector Coordinating Executive Committees in a joint statement declared that “the November 3rd election was the most secure in American history. Right now, across the country, election officials are reviewing and double-checking the entire election process prior to finalizing the result.”
However, the president has ordered the GSA Administrator not to certify the results of the election, delaying Biden’s team from receiving classified intelligence briefings and engaging with government scientists on the Corona Virus Task Force.
Ask Sens. Burr and Tillis to join these and an increasing number of senate colleagues in stating, at minimum, the importance of Biden’s team having access to the classified presidential daily briefing on intelligence matters:
Mitt Romney (R-Utah), Lisa Murkowski (R- Alaska), Susan Collins (R-Maine), Ben Sasse (R- Nebraska), James Lankford (R-Oklahoma), Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa), John Thune (R-South Dakota), Lindsay Graham (R-South Carolina), Rob Portman (R-Ohio), Mike Rounds (R-South Dakota), Josh Hawley (R-Missouri), John Cornyn (R-Texas)
In addition, the heads of the American Hospitals Association, The American Medical Association, and the American Nurses Association issued a joint statement on Tuesday urging the Trump administration to share ‘all critical information related to COVID-19’ with Biden. Not doing so, they warned, could jeopardize American lives.”
Talking points for your letter:
- Delays in sharing security briefings undermine the safety and security of our military service members and civilian civil servants overseas.
- There are unknown, possibly serious risks, involved with a delayed transition. When the contested 2000 election delayed George W. Bush’s transition, it delayed his national security team and, according to a finding in the official 9/11 Commission Report, was a contributing factor to the September 11, 2001, terror attacks.
- Having a president with his team in place on day one having critical information about government functions is imperative for an effective presidency.
- The U.S. government is a massive operation that requires a lot of work. Shortening the transition time, especially during the pandemic, threatens to delay the needed help the nation needs to navigate the current public health crisis.
To find your representative and senator, use this link: https://www.ncleg.gov/FindYourLegislators
We would like to receive feedback about any action you may take in response to this email. To let us know, please contact email@example.com. Also, if you have any questions about this message or why you are receiving it, please contact us at the same address.