FCNCL Fall Newsletter
In the Fall newsletter, you will read about our commitment to being an antiracism organization, a query that informs our work, a thank you to our supporters, and information about FCNCL. We also give a shout out of gratitude to Helene Hilger, one of the founders and co-clerks of FCNCL and who has moved to Pennsylvania.
To read more, Fall Newsletter
New FCNCL Minute on Antiracism
(approved at FCNCL General Committee Meeting October 2, 2021)
As we seek the Light in every person and work to influence North Carolina legislation and policies that affect human dignity and well-being, we must recognize and respond to the irrefutable evidence of continuous, vicious, systemic racism in our state, our country, and even in our faith communities. For this reason, Friends Committee on North Carolina Legislation (FCNCL) commits to vigorously and effectively promote legislation and regulations that result in racial equity and justice and to strongly oppose policies that create racial inequity and injustice.
REVIEW FCNCL’s 2021 LEGISLATIVE PRIORITIES
FCNCL uses a corporate discernment process to set our lobbying agenda for North Carolina General Assembly deliberations. These excerpts are from the full statement on 2021 Priorities approved in October 2020, and they are consistent with our Quaker testimonies of Equality & Social Justice, Peace, and Integrity, and with our FCNCL Minute on Antiracism:
- ELECTORAL REFORM – We support:
- Creating an independent non-partisan commission to redraw fair maps
- Legislation that ensures fair and free elections and upholds voting rights.
- Measures promoting strong government ethics
- ACCESS TO QUALITY HEALTHCARE – We support:
- Medicaid Expansion
- Reproductive Rights
- ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION MEASURES – We support:
- Preserving natural areas, air and water quality
- Environmental justice
- Preventing coal ash and concentrated animal feeding operations (CAFOs) pollution
- Mitigating climate change, especially through clean energy and ceasing environmental policy rollbacks
- CRIMINAL JUSTICE REFORMS – We support:
- Ending Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) raids
- Abolishing the death penalty
FCNCL is grateful to Jane Ashley of Flower of Life Press for our logo design